Exotic black sand beaches stretching away in both directions. Some of the world’s best surf coming to lap your toes as you face the sea’s horizon. Bali is often called that cliché phrase “a tropical paradise” – and you can see why, with all of the glory of a Bali beach before you. Indeed, it is tempting to call it quits and park yourself on these sandy shores for your entire holiday at a Bali beach resort, watching the waves peak and crash out at sea, while lush jungle rustles behind you.
Yet there is much to tempt even the most dedicated beach bum away from the surf here on the Island of the Gods. And for the beach bum who likes a touch of luxury, Bali is sure not to disappoint. Here is a list of the top five luxury experiences and adventures in Bali – from accommodation to expeditions, from journeys of the body to journeys of the soul, find it all on this one island sanctuary.
5. Private Villas: Indulge in your ultimate holiday fantasy. More than a mere ‘home away from home’, a private villa is better than your normal home. Situated on your own stretch of Bali beach or tucked away into the verdant hills of the interior, these villas often come with a full staff and exhibit luxurious design. You can find these villas through individual owners, though many Bali beach resorts also operate luxury private villas on their properties.
4. Cultural and shopping tours: One of the most exciting things about visiting Bali is the chance to experience the island’s fascinating and unique culture. As one of the only remaining pockets of Hinduism in predominantly Muslim Indonesia, Bali is filled to bursting with exquisite Hindu temples, such as the famous Tanah Lot, situated on a cliff overlooking a Bali beach and horizon. Journey deeper into central Bali to Ubud to discover a shopper’s delight of artisanal crafts and handiwork. Many of the Bali beach resorts and villas provide cultural and shopping tours around the island with private drivers and tour guides.
3. Chartered yacht and helicopter expeditions: Nothing says luxury like private transportation that makes the journey as special as the destination. See Bali from a new perspective when you charter a yacht or helicopter. Explore hidden coves and take a picnic to stretches of deserted Bali beach from your yacht, or else glimpse the fish scale patterns of rice paddies on the hillside from a helicopter. Discover a whole new side of Bali that few ever see.
2. Spa: Bali remains one of Asia’s premier destinations for spa retreats, and many of the best will be in or nearby your Bali beach resort. Spas are often set next to idyllic shorelines or nestled in luscious jungle hideaways. Whether you experience a famous Balinese massage, a soothing body wrap made from local ingredients, or any number of healing and relaxing treatments, you are sure to leave feeling restored and rejuvenated.
1. Sunset: There is no experience in this world like a Balinese sunset. Whether you are travelling as a couple, family, group of friends, or solo, this is the one luxury Bali beach experience that cannot be missed. Several Bali beach resorts offer prime viewing spots, come early evening.